Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Follow me as I take the Walk in Her Shoes Challenge – 6kms / 8,000 steps a day!


Dear Friends,

This year, I am not climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro (though 17 others are taking the Climb for CARE Challenge this year - http://climbforcare.ca/ for details).

What I am going to try to do may be even harder, in practice if not in theory!  CARE has launched the Walk in Her Shoes Challenge, where our staff, volunteers, donors, friend etc., are all trying to experience the typical day for the average woman and girl in a developing country.  That means I need to walk 6kms (8,000 steps) a day, which is what women and girls need to do to gather water, firewood and other essentials to meet the basic needs of their families and survive.

I will be trying to walk 6kms every day for one week – starting today and ending March 8th on International Women’s Day – to gain a better, personal understanding of what this really means.  We are partnered with ParticipAction to promote this, as it is also a great way for Canadians to assess and measure their own levels of activity.

To watch my progress, to find out more, or to find out how you can participate and get your own pedometer, feel free to click on this link (http://bit.ly/eaOnZz) or send me a note.  I will be tweeting as I go, and while I don’t want to be making excuses before I start, I do think it will be tough!  Not that I’m afraid of the exercise, but I (like many of you I’m sure) spend so much time at a desk, or driving to/from work/school that walking 8,000 steps will be a real challenge.  If I really had to walk 6km every day, I’m sure I wouldn’t have enough time for many other activities…, oh wait, maybe that is the message within the challenge… Wish me luck!

Regards, 

Kevin
P.s. Twitter details to the right…

No comments:

Post a Comment